Please note:

We hope that you enjoy the DOT posts and the different views from everyone included. We promise lots of cute pictures, laughter, maybe a tear or two, and some information. Please note that the views and opinions expressed here are each author's own and do not necessarily represent DOT as a whole.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Nailing Down Dog Nails

I must confess, I had another post planned for today, but something wonderful happened at our house, and I wanted to share it with you.






Around our house, the Knight - my husband, also known to the fur-kids as Dadaw - has nail duty. He was raised in a home where shelties were raised too, so I suppose he learned to help trim the dogs' nails after he'd mastered trimming his own. In fact, it's not unusual for my family to whisper in his ear when they hug him hello, and before we leave, he and the family dog(s) have some quality time together. He has a knack many vet techs would love to have.





Rewind to last winter. We brought home baby Sissy, our second basset hound. Bassets are notorious for being very persnickity about their feet, and Sissy took it to a new level. Finally, the Knight began to suggest that I make sure the vet trimmed her nails while we were there. It was a blow to his Dadaw-ego.





Several of you and a couple of our local friends bought Pedipaws when they first hit the market. The Knight already owned a couple of Dremel tools, so he did some research and decided Sissy wouldn't like it. So imagine my surprise - and the eye rolling - when a Pedipaws found its way into our cart a few weeks ago.





(Insert nail in that little cut-out. You can see the file below.)








He started with one nail every other night, and in under two weeks, Sissy has decided that the buzzy thing can touch all her nails in one sitting. The Knight still has to pin her down a bit, but I predict that in a few more weeks, she'll sit in his lap like Gretchen does. I don't think Sissy will ever like it, but for our pack, Pedipaws is fantastic.







Sissy's nails are rather thick, thick enough that "we" use the big dog clippers. I think that's why the Knight originally discounted the "as seen on TV" tool, but in a matter of seconds, a whole paw's worth of nails can be filed without a fight.




Gretchen seems to prefer the human fingernail clippers, but I like the smooth finish Pedipaws provides, so she's going to have to adjust.



Me? Despite countless tutorials and many assists, I've always been too afraid of nicking the quick to try on my own. However, I think that if the Knight ever tires of giving his girls their pedicures, I just might give it a whirl.




Happy Dogs on Thursday. Don't forget to visit some of the other members, and let us know about your Pedipaws experiences too.





15 comments:

Tobi said...

I'm glad you reviewed the PediPaws. My husband picked one up for us months ago and I tried it. To be honest, it's just not fast enough for me. I need to get in there and get it done and just let them walk away. I think it's great for filing down splintered nails though and for that reason alone I'll keep it.

Tobi

Dawn said...

I just used ours again yesterday on Fuji..she had a pedicure!:) Love it, because I have cut Fuji when using cutters and I about freaked out...very tiny but it was too much for me. Pedipaws is great and she has never minded the buzz sound or vibration.

Rose said...

I have trouble even brushing MaggieMae's legs, so me doing her nails is definitely left to the groomer or the vet! Good article however!

GoldenTracks said...

We use our dremel tool; much quicker than the Pedi-paw and you don't have to stick the nail thru a hole.

Tina. said...

I have been thinking of getting one. Currently I take Honey Dew and Sampson to a groomer who will not charge for doing nails, instead, she has a can on her desk and just asks that you leave a donation in the can for the humane society! I enjoy visiting with her and supporting a worthy cause at the same time!

gMarie said...

We use the pedi - but, without the cover the bloods nails are shaped likes Gretchens, but much bigger. The bassets have really thick nails that don't fit in the hole. Our vet said they can cut the quick if you aren't careful. I have wanted to use a dremel for years, but Jay wouldn't do it. The Vet said the Pedi was a good in between and that it still qoes fast enough to cauterize the nail if you get the quick by accident. g

Lapdog Creations said...

Great review! I've gotten the nail trimming duty in our house and have been fortunate enough to get all 4 trained on the regular "big dog clippers." Its was much the same training - a nail here, a nial there... but now I can do all at once with all 4.

Sue said...

I've been letting the vet or the groomer handle this group, but I have to do Samba's nails because she has a problem with her nails. I use my own pedicure tool that gently grinds them down. I hope to start using my new dremel on the others.

Anonymous said...

This was very interesting. I will have to look into it. Thank you.

Kenyetta said...

We could only use it on Snoop and to me it didn't file them enough, his nails were still sharp

soulbrush said...

Papa does snuffles' nails with a nail cutter his late mom left him (she was a vet) and they have such a good cuddly time together.

Vivian said...

We bought a Dremel just for Bucky's nails, and it turned out he hates all nail trimming equipments equally. Nowadays I bug my husband to do the clipping, and then I hide.

dogyarnfun said...

My girlfriend uses this on her pups too. She raves about it. I'm lucky that Ginger's nails get a "natural pedicure" from the walks we take.

Cheryl said...

Hi Sue,
Thanks for leaving a comment! I have been wanting to try this but didn't know if it worked. I might have to go buy one now! Have a great week.
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Great post! A lot of people overlook doing their dog's nails!!